How to Evaluate Digital Signage Software During a Free Trial
Let’s be honest. There is no such thing as a free lunch. While there are many digital signage software offerings that claim to be free, you will rarely find one that you can actively use for commercial purposes.
Digital signage software free trials
Have you ever encountered these offers online?
- Free digital signage software for schools
- Free digital signage software for Raspberry Pi
- Free digital signage software for Smart TV
They usually refer to a digital signage demo or trial offer. This is not to be confused with actual free or non-commercial software.
The digital signage software demo is an important step in selecting a solution. It’s where you can put prospective software to the test so you can determine if it’s fit for purpose.
Will software “A” deliver what I need? The only way to really know is to try it out. Use your own content and test the solution in a real-world environment. See if the software meets your requirements and find out how easy it is to use.
Digital signage software demos are an essential step in selecting the right solution before you commit.
How long should a free trial last?
Digital signage software demo periods can range between 10 and 30 days. This is usually sufficient for the user to know if the product is a good fit. The key is to dedicate sufficient resources to the trial so as to put the software through its paces.
If you have access to a 30-day trial, make sure you use the product for the entire period. Your opinion of the product may change over time.
If at all possible, test the software on your own hardware. This will let you go experience the installation and configuration process. You will also find out if the software is compatible with your equipment which is really useful.
If the vendor offers their own media player devices, ask if they have any demo units available. You’ll gain a lot of experience by setting up the hardware and by seeing how it performs with your own content.
Which tests should I perform during my digital signage software trial?
The first step is to make sure the solution is compatible with your content:
- Does the software support your file formats without conversion?
- Does it support popular formats for images, videos, PDF files, and presentations?
- How easy is it to upload content?
- Are there any file size limitations or other restrictions?
Next, look at the user interface:
- Is it easy to use and intuitive?
- Can you access it on different hardware platforms? (PC, MAC, Android…)
- Does the software offer a web interface, or does it require locally installed software?
- Does it offer all the features you need?
How to tell if the software is right for your company?
One of the key questions to ask yourself during your free digital signage software trial is “will my teams actually be able to use this thing effectively”?
Very often, prospective buyers get so wrapped up in the ‘cool new features’ and futuristic demo they saw that they forget to focus on the four most important questions they should be asking themselves:
- Is this software easy to learn and use?
- Can this software do what we need it to do today?
- Will this software continue to evolve as business needs change?
- Will this software work with the hardware we already have?
Try to focus on these questions during your search and you will already be ahead of the game.
Why you should consider a free trial of Navori QL software
Navori Labs offers a free digital signage software trial. The trial period is 30 days during which you will get to try out every feature included with the QL Professional software application. The trial is hosted on Navori Lab’s cloud servers so you only need a local PC, or other supported devices to fully experience the software.
QL Player is the media playback software you download and install on your device. Installation takes minutes and you’re up and running. Don’t have a PC or Android device handy?
Navori Labs offers its powerful QL Stix 3700 Android media player that includes QL Player. It’s a true, plug-and-play digital signage device that delivers 4K resolutions on compatible screens.
QL Player is also available for many system-on-chip Smart TVs and BrightSign players.
You will access the QL platform using your web browser. Once you are logged in, you can perform all your tasks using the software’s web-based Content Manager.
- Upload your content – QL supports images, videos, PowerPoint presentations, PDF files, and web pages.
- Create templates – Create layouts for your content. Position live data feeds, media zones, and graphics anywhere on the screen.
- Create tickers – Display news items, weather feeds, or any other live data across the bottom of your screens.
- Create playlists – These are content loops that play in sequence or randomly.
- Schedule your playlists – Create dayparting to display different information during the day.
The software documentation is available right from the Content Manager interface, and you can also view our demo videos online.